Why Residents Need Companionship at the Alpine Nursing Home
Why Residents Need Companionship
Most of our residents here at the Alpine Nursing Home are senior citizens. Seniors need companionship not only on Valentine’s Day or during the month of Love but all of the time!
Maintaining social bonds is a sure-fire way to help seniors enjoy themselves while experiencing some fantastic health benefits both mentally and physically.
Why Do Seniors Lack Companionship?
Many elders lack companionship as they age and retire. They no longer have work friends and many of their other relatives and friends have passed on before them. The younger relatives may live far away or work full time jobs and have families to raise themselves.
It is a little ironic, once you have more time for others, there are less others to have time for. Some people have health issues that also hinder them to spend time doing activities with others which leads to more companionship.
What Exactly Are the Benefits of Companionship for Seniors?
- Lower Risk of Heart Disease – Loneliness is bad for the heart and a strong predictor of premature death, according to a study presented today at EuroHeartCare 2018, the European Society of Cardiology’s annual nursing congress. The study found that feeling lonely was a stronger predictor of poor outcomes than living alone, in both men and women.
- Protects Against Dementia – It’s also important for the brain to be stimulated regularly with personal interactions to keep it sharp. Without such companionship, dementia is a higher risk, as well as depression and insomnia, which can lead to wider health problems.
- Faster Recoveries – Having those you care about around you in illness can help you to recover quicker.
- Longer Lifespan – Dr Dilip Jeste, lead author of the study, said: “Loneliness rivals smoking and obesity in its impact on shortening longevity. It is paramount we address the wellbeing of our seniors. They are friends, parents and grandparents of the younger generations.”
- Less Depression – Having people around to talk and share with eases the feelings of depression in the elderly. They feel a sense of community, connection and a need for them to be around.
- Eat Healthier – When people have others around them to eat with, they tend to eat healthier meals and not skip meals or just eat fast food.
- More Physical Activity – Those that have someone to walk with or exercise with are more apt to have more physical activity in their lives.
Our Activities Calendar is Always Full
Here at the Alpine Nursing Home our activities director, Celeste has the activities calendar full every month so residents can socialize with others and have companionship that they often crave.
We offer things like art classes and bingo with the church ladies. Other times we have the Balloon Man or musicians come into to play music for the residents. We gather everyone up and go to the dining area for most of our activities.
At the Alpine we also encourage family members and friends to come by and join them during these activities. Many join us for lunch as we provide very tasty lunches and dinners here so the residents can enjoy their mealtime to the fullest.
Come and Visit An Elderly Person Today 🙂
So, if you know someone at the Alpine Nursing Home today, come by and visit with them if only for a short time. It will make their day brighter and make them healthier too.